Overview of the Energy Commission
A statutory body established under the Energy Commission Act 2001, Suruhanjaya Tenaga (ST) is responsible for regulating the energy sector, specifically the electricity and piped gas supply industries in Peninsular Malaysia and Sabah.
Fully operational on January 1, 2002, ST took over the role of the Department of Electricity and Gas Supply, which was dissolved on the same date.
The Commission’s responsibilities are enshrined by the Energy Commission Act 2001, and the following acts and regulations:
• Energy Commission (Amendment) Act 2010
• Electricity Supply Act 1990 [Act 447] as amended in 2015
• Gas Supply Act 1993 [Act 501] as amended in 2016
• Electricity Regulations 1994 as amended in 2014
• Licensee Supply Regulations 1990
• Electricity Supply (Compounding of Offences) Regulations 2001
• Efficient Management of Electrical Energy Regulations 2008
• Gas Supply Regulations 1997
• Gas Supply (Compoundable Offences) Order 2006