Requirements of the Law
Requirements of the Law
Electricity Supply Act 1990 (Act 447)
Section 21: Registration of Installations
(1) Before the completion of a new installation, other than an installation belonging to a supply authority or an installation operated or owned by a licensee, the owner of the installation shall forward, in duplicate, to the Commission, an application for registration in the prescribed form.
(1A) The Commission shall cause inspection and tests to be made within the prescribed period and, if the installation satisfies the requirements of this Act, shall issue or cause to be issued a Certificate of Registration in the prescribed form.
(2) No person shall possess or operate an installation, other than an installation excluded under subsection (1) unless the installation is registered on a valid Certificate of Registration.
(3) Certificates of Registration shall be surrendered by the owner or licensee to the Commission for cancellation if the installation is no longer required to be used. Thereafter, if the owner or licensee wishes to operate the installation again, the said installation shall be treated in all respects as if it is a new installation.
(4) A Certificate of Registration may be cancelled in accordance with regulations made under section 53.
(5) Certificates of Registration shall not be transferred without the permission of the Commission.
Electricity Regulation 1994
Part II – Installation
Registration of Installation
Regulation 3 - Application for registration of installation.
(1) Unless otherwise exempted by the Minister, an application for the registration of an installation shall be in Form A as prescribed in the First Schedule.
(2) The Certificate of Registration shall be in Form B as prescribed in the First Schedule.
(3) A Certificate of Registration shall be valid for a period of not less than one year and not more than five years from the date of issue.
(4) [Deleted by P.U.(A) 431/2003: Reg.3 ]
Regulation 4 – Fee for registration of installation.
A fee shall be paid for the issue of a Certificate of Registration at the rate prescribed in Part I of the Second Schedule.
Regulation 5 – Inspection and test of installation.
(1) Inspection and test of a new installation for the purpose of registration shall be made not later than twenty-one days after the receipt of Form A referred to in regulation 3 and reasonable notice of the inspection and test shall be given in writing to the owner or management of the installation, as the case may be.
(2) Upon receiving the notice issued under subregulation (1), the owner or management of the installation shall cause the preparation for the inspection and test to be made and shall be present at the time of such inspection and test.
(3) Notice of initial and follow-up inspection and test shall be in Forms D and E respectively as prescribed in the First Schedule, and shall be served either personally upon the person to whom they are addressed or be sent to him by registered post or be affixed conspicuously to the building where the installation to be inspected and tested is located.
Regulation 6 – Fee for inspection and test of installation.
A fee shall be charged for the inspection and test of any installation at the rate prescribed in Part II of the Second Schedule.
Regulation 6A – Register
(1) The Commission shall keep a Register into which shall be entered the name and other particulars of every person to whom a Certificate of Registration is issued under regulation 4.
(2) There shall be removed from the register the name and other particulars of every person to whom a Certificate of Registration has been cancelled under regulation 7.
Regulation 7 – Cancellation of Certificate of Registration of installation.
(1) The Commission may cancel a Certificate of Registration of installation issued under these Regulations if —
(a) the installation is no longer required to be used:
(b) the installation is found to be unsafe for use;
(c) the person to whom the Certificate was issued uses it for a purpose other than for that for which it was issued; or
(d) the person has contravened or failed to comply with any of the provisions of the Act or these Regulations.
(2) Where a Certificate of Registration of an installation is cancelled by the Commission pursuant to subregulation (1) the person to whom the Certificate was issued shall return it to the Commission within fourteen days after being notified in writing of the cancellation.