Gas Safety

No. You are not required to apply for an Approval To Install as the scope of the Gas Supply Act 1993 (Act 501) only covers the supply of liquefied petroleum gas, natural gas and liquefied natural gas through pipelines or piping systems.

You should direct your enquiries to web site aduan.st.gov.my and ST will revert with the available gas suppliers (shippers) in your area so that you may contact them directly.

No, the Gas Supply Act 1993 does not apply in Sarawak. However, you must obtain independent advice as to what laws apply in Sarawak.

You need to obtain a hand-over letter from the previous owner of the restaurant and also a copy of both the ATI and ATO. If all the documents are in order, you need to appoint a gas contractor registered with the Commission to carry out maintenance and retesting of the piping system. If the documents are not obtained, you need to install a new piping system and apply for approval from the Commission.

A licence is not required as gas is supplied by the shopping mall.

This matter has be notified to the management of ABC, particularly regarding the new installation of the TNB sub-station because this has created an unsafe condition to the LPG storage tank where the minimum safety distance as per MS 830 is 7.5m from building or boundary and 4.5m from TNB sub-station.

The tank has to be moved in order to create a minimum safety distance of 7.5m. If the area is congested, please refer to the Commission for advice.

The equipment cannot be used unless it is registered with the Commission. For more details, please refer to the following link: 

The company must be registered and obtain a Certificate of Approval (COA) as an importer with ST pursuant to Regulation 116 of the Gas Supply Regulations 1997 to import the gas meter and regulator.

The company also needs to obtain a COA from ST for the equipment pursuant to Regulation 117 of the Gas Supply Regulations 1997. To obtain this COA, you must submit to ST a test report issued by a laboratory which a member of the International Laboratories Accreditation Cooperation (ILAC), or by SIRIM Berhad, or by a third party testing body accredited by the Department of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH).

In addition, for gas meters, you need to submit your meter to the National Metrology Institute of Malaysia (NMIM) for their approval and this written approval must also be submitted to ST.